- West Cornwall
- Roseland & The Fal
- North Coast
- North Cornwall
- South East Cornwall
- Cornwall Information
- Special Offers
Covering an area of around 100 square miles and between 800 – 1400 feet above sea level Bodmin Moor is the smallest of the West Country Moors and an area of outstanding natural beauty.
This granite upland is characterised by saturated moorland and weather beaten tors. From here the rivers Inny, Lyhner, Fowey, St Neot and De Lank start their journey to the sea.
At 1377 feet 'Brown Willey' is the highest point, both of the moor and of Cornwall. A short distance away from Brown Willey is 'Roughtor', pronounced 'Row Tor', the second highest point. Roughtor stands on NationalTrust Land and is a magnificent viewpoint.
The moor is surrounded by the major towns of Liskeard / Bodmin / Launceston and Camelford.
There are numerous little villages and interesting places scattered around the moor, right in the centre is:
Bolventor: Just off the main A30, this is a pretty little village but is best known as being the home of 'Jamaica Inn'. A former coaching house inn made famous by the Daphne Du Maurier novel 'Jamaica Inn'. The Inn dates from 1750 and little has changed since then. Today, it still serves travellers who can enjoy a drink or meal in the restaurant. There is also a museum within the Inn with some curious oddities.
Dozmary Pool: Just south of Bolventor is the natural tarn Dozmary Pool. This is another place linked to the legend of King Arthur. Legend has it that this is where King Arthur lay dying and his sword 'Excalibur' was thrown into the pool.
Colliford Lake & Park: The countries largest man-made reservoir. At 1000 feet above sea level and wide open to all the elements it is an excellent habitat for a large variety of birds and wildlife, also rare varieties of orchid can be found here. There are facilities for water sports which of course includes fishing. There are some very large trout in the reservoir both brown and rainbow, they are not your tame variety and very difficult to catch. There are even some sea trout that were trapped prior to the dam being built.
The Adventure Playground is an all weather affair and a great family day out.
With over 30,000 square feet of covered play area, plus over 50 acres of parkland with drop slides, bumper boats and pedaloes.
There is a terraced café overlooking the lake.
Open Easter to October 7 days a week 11.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.
Further information: Tel. 01208 821469
Trewint village: A lovely little village initially made famous by John Wesley, the founder of Methodism. The village often played host to Wesley when on his tours in 1743.
Wesley cottage is in the village and after falling into disrepair was restored and open to the public in 1950. It is open to the public from dusk to dawn every day except Christmas day.
Altarnun Village: On a steep sided valley of Penpont Water. A splendid moorland village often described as the prettiest village in Cornwall. It consists of old granite cottages, a post office, a shop and a butchers.
It is home to the 15th century 'Church of St Nonna', often referred to as the 'Cathedral on the Moors'. The original church was built in the 12th century, the Norman Font is one of the few remaining parts. By the church gate there is a Celtic Cross, possibly dating back to the 6th century. 79 bench end carvings by Robert Daye between 1510 -1530 depicting a wide range of subjects including Cornish Piper and Fidler.
Just a short distance from the church is 'The Old Rectory', built in 1842 is not open to the public. Daphne DuMaurier visited the house and it is featured in her book, 'Jamaica Inn'.
The church hall is a central part of the village and plays host to numerous activities. A two week exhibition of painting and crafts is held annually. Every Tuesday from May to the end of September ladies of the village sell home made food, from Cornish pasties to sweet cakes and cream teas. All proceeds go to the Church Fund.
An annual week long carnival takes place during the 3rd week of August.
Walks: Popular circular walks from the village are maintained by the Cornwall County Council. Full details of what can be seen and interesting information can be purchased from the local Post Office. (closed Wednesday/Saturday/Sunday afternoons).
The Walks are colour coded:
The Tredaule Walk: (red)
Distance 1 ½ miles, allow an hour and start from the Post Office.
The Inny Valley Walk: (green)
Distance 6 ½ miles, allow 4 hours. Start at the bridge by Nonna's Church.
Austles Ford Walk: (brown)
Distance 3 miles, allow 2 hours. Start from Altarnun , 5 Lanes or Trewint.
The Lyhner Valley: (purple)
Distance 5 miles, allow 3 ½ hours. Start from the Kings Head Hotel in Five Lanes.
Attractions and places of interest:
Carnglaze Caverns: Three underground caverns in 6 ½ acres of woods in the beautiful St Neot Valley. An excellent day out whatever the weather.
Open all year – Monday to Saturday 10a.m. – 5 p.m. August 8.00 p.m. - Tel. 01579 3230251
Trethorne Leisure Park: Something for all ages, oipen all year 10.00 a.m to 6 00 p.m.
Eight bowling lanes, games room, bars, restaurant, and gift shop.
Large undercover outdoor play area with excellent activities and games.
Ponies to ride and lambs to feed.
Minions Heritage Centre: Usually located in a Cornish Engine House, the centre shows the history of the landscape from stone age, through the 18th and 19th centuries, to the present day.
Open all year – 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Tel. 01579 341000
North Cornwall Museum and Gallery: Covers all aspects of life in North Cornwall from 50 – 100 years ago. The gallery has changing exhibitions by artists and crafts people.
This is also a Tourist Information Centre.
Open April – September - Monday to Saturday 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. - Tel: 01840 212954
Sterts Theatre: A unique opportunity to experience life theatre and music in an outdoor setting. In beautiful surroundings enjoy a family picnic or have a meal in the Bistro and bar.
Tel. 01579 362382
Southwest Lakes Trust: Offers trout and course fishing, sailing, windsurfing and canoeing.
There is a lakeside restaurant at Roadford Lake and tea rooms at the other three lakes.
There are miles of footpaths, cycle routes, picnic areas, car park, toilets, all in wonderful countryside.
For more information: Tel. 01579 362382
St Neot Pottery: This small family business includes, tea pots, cups, mugs, jugs, vases, decorative bowls and dishes. Each item is unique individually made on the premises.
Various items can be made to order e.g. weddings/birthdays etc.
Open throughout the summer months – closed Sundays.
Groups welcome by arrangement.
More information: tel. 01579 320216
Walkabout West: Mark Camp, author of the three best of Bodmin Moor Walks books and creator of the 'Copper Trail', a 60 mile walk around the moor.
Mark organises guided walks all over East Cornwall and Bodmin Moor.
More information: Tel. 01503 273060
St Neot: The village nestles in a sheltered valley on the southern edge of Bodmin Moor, enjoying the mild Cornish climate.
St Neot is a wonderful centre for a holiday. Within the village you have a choice of excellent accommodation. The teashop offers delicious homemade teas and the pub has an enticing, varied menu. Whether you visit in summer or winter, try to take in one our many events, ranging from the pantomime in February to the summer carnival, fetes, flower festival and ram roast. Our Royalist village still celebrates the restoration of Charles II each May with Oak Apple Day. There are also numerous concerts held in the slate caverns, church and amphitheatre.
The village is famous for its splendid 15th century St Anietus's Parish Church and the home of a fine 9th century granite cross.
St Neot is an ideal touring centre for Cornwall. The coast can be reached in twenty minutes. Within and around the parish you will find plenty to interest you. The area is rich in history and legend with a church famous for its medieval stained glass windows, a holy well, Bodmin Moor abounding in archaeological remains, Jamaica Inn and the magic Dozmary Pool, in which lies King Arthur's sword. Nature lovers will enjoy walking on the moor or along the river up to Golitha Falls, taking advantage of the local trout and salmon fishing or just relaxing in the Doorstep Green, a garden created by the villagers in 2004.
St Neot Walks: The St Neot Village Walk: (Red Route)
Distance approximately 3/4 of a mile.
Allow 1/2 hour, (Wellington boots required when wet).
Starting from the car-park in the village turn right and proceed down Lampen Lane, and follow the way marked route to the river. The route follows the river for one hundred yards. Those who wish to can continue on this track along the river to Carnglaze Slate Caverns passing by the newly restored waterwheel at Lampen Mill). Cross the footbridge into water-meadow. Piles of mine waste can be seen on the valley side opposite, remnants of Wheal Mary mine which operated a century ago, firstly as a silver mine and latterly for tin and copper. The path crosses the meadow and climbs the steps to rejoin the village at the foot of Loveny Road. A gentle climb leads people back into the village and towards the church. A visit to the church forms the highlight of any visit to St. Neot. The church contains the finest example of stained-glass windows in Cornwall, best viewed on a sunny day. Within the churchyard can be seen ancient examples of early Christian crosses.
Adjacent to the west gate is the London Inn, church and public house forming an unholy alliance as in many Cornish villages. The London Inn was an old staging inn on the main road to London.
In the centre of the village, to the right of the Carlyon Garage can be seen a hollow in the wall lined with granite reveals.
Occupying the hole is an ancient motar stone thought to have been used for crushing tin ore prior to smelting. A small diversion down the lane along the river will lead the walker to the Holy Well. Returning from the well along the river and over the bridge will lead the walker back to the starting point.
Goonzion Downs Walk: (Black Route)
Distance approximately 2 miles. Allow 1 hour.
This is also a circular Bridle Route.
Written by the pupils of St. Neot Junior School
The word Goonzion means 'dry downs'. It got it's name because on the downs there are no traces of flowing streams or rivers. The only water you will see along your journey are puddles. Goonzion is covered in gorse. Villagers used to mine copper and tin from these downs. Our walk starts from the car park at the top of Tripp Hill The fenced off area adjacent to the park is the remnant of Whim Shaft, now long filled in. When miners did discover ore it would be dug out and put in to a bucket. A horse would then walk around a circle and with the help of pulleys (or whim) would haul the ore up. There would be long vertical ladders for men and boys to use to get up and down in the shaft.
Follow the waymarked route taking in the wonderful views of the village.The path continues to the ancient Barrow at point. People think this was where an ancient Bronze Age Chief was buried. Over the years it has been dug into by treasure seekers. Just to the west of the barrow is the level area which was to be a football field. It was cleared after the war, but was never used as it was too far from the village and too isolated.
Follow the path, note the view of the distant peaks of Brown Gelly and Carburrow, on a clear day you can see Berry Castle and in the west are views of Belowda Beacon and the China Clay District.
Very little is known of the derivation of its name but it may have been used by some itinerant preachers during the introduction of Non Conformist Christianity into Cornwall, as was the case with Gwennap Pit.
There are many smaller pits on Goonzion Downs which are the result of mining operations taking place over centuries close to the surface to extract tin from the ground initially in the form of shode workings and latterly by shallow mining and quarrying. Point 6 is the famous Crowpound of the St. Neot Legend. The legend tells that church attendances were dropping because farmers were defending their corn crops from marauding crows instead of attending Divine Worship. St. Neot impounded the crows in Crowpound during the hours of worship so the congregation would not have to worry about defending their crops. From here the traveller can make their way east along the common or road to Whim Shaft where the walk commenced.
Two Valleys Walk: (Green Route)
Distance 6 miles. Allow 2 hours
This walk links the river valleys of the Loveny and the Fowey crossing open moorland. It is a walk of contrasts and the rewards are magnificent views from the Iron Age fort on Berry Down. The route takes quiet back lanes out of the village, skirting the moor before following the Fowey upstream through wooded valley to Trenant and then branching out to follow the Bowden stream up onto the moor.
Starting from the car-park, cross over the bridge and take the road uphill beside the London Inn. One hundred yards further on, as the road levels out, take the unmetalled track (Back Lane) beside the school. Turn right as the lane emerges onto the metalled road again at Newton Farm. Follow the road up bearing right at the top, do not take the footpath indicated at this point. Continue for a further 200 yards to the T-junction and then turn right, heading downhill to Wenmouth Cross.The ancient cross, now much disfigured, stands at this crossroads, moved from Lampen Lane to Wenmouth Cross in 1932.
Take the road signposted to Liskeard and then 50 yards down the road take the turning left for Draynes. This road drops gently downhill with views into the Fowey valley Take the next turning right to bring you into the hamlet of Treverbyn. In the hedge just before the hamlet is the base stone, carved out of granite, of a cider press. Take the lane in front of you, through a private garden. Please keep to the waymarked route. Continue to the bottom of the field crossing a stile where you enter into the lane.
We can depart briefly from our route, turn left onto the highway (Extra care should be taken at this point due to traffic) the road crosses the leat for Treverbyn Mill then onto Treverbyn Bridge. Built around 1412 it lay on the main road to London. Retracing our steps head back and take the track into the woods past the slate quarry. Keep on this track before descending to the river down the steps. Pause a while to enjoy the wonderful scenery. You might be lucky and spot a kingfisher.
The track follows the river before departing to head up to Trenant. The disturbed ground at this point are the remnants of medieval tin streaming when the ore was extracted from deposits laid down in the bed of the river. Cross the road at Trenant and take the track into Periock and Bowden woods.
The route climbs gently up onto the high country and emerges at Lower Bowden. Turn right on the road and after 'A mile turn left onto the open moorland of Berry Down.
BERRY DOWN: Permission has been granted by Trustees of the Glencross Estate, S. Tregilges, and K. Rice for walkers to climb to the top of Berry Down where there are magnificent views to the south. Just below the top of the hill looking south are the banks of a hillfort known as Berry Down Castle. The hillfort is traditionally dated to the Iron Age (300 B.C.) but may date back to the Bronze Age (1500 B.C.). Clearly visible within the banks are the remains of nine hut circles with a tenth circle near the top of the hill outside the bank. Here the walls have been breached by much later mining activity which has also disturbed the interior, providing sheltered hollows for stunted oaks. Now we can rejoin our path and begin our descent to St. Neot, down the rough track known locally as Stony Lane.
Cross over the crossroads and follow the road downhill passing Tremaddock Farm. Pause a moment and look at the view to the south. Goonzion Downs can be seen above the village with the 'Cornish Alps' at St. Austell beyond. After the cottage bear right towards Hilltown Farm. Note the ancient Cornish cross on the hedge. Following this road and turning right at the next junction will bring the walker back into the village of St.Neot.
Draynes Bridge / Golitha Falls: There are two circular walks from Draynes Bridge, down through the woods to Golitha Falls. Beginning and ending at the car park (228690), both walks are waymarked and the longer route takes no more than about an hour.
Starting from Draynes at SX214691 (parking limited), take the signed path from just south of West Draynes Farm, crossing a stile into a field. The path follows a westerly direction across several fields to Carpuan. There is an interesting old series of steps over a fairly high wall at one point. Beyond that, as the path descends to Carpuan, is a tree which seems to grow out of a large boulder. En route there are good views to the south. From Carpuan, follow the lane to Higher Bowden, turning right at the T -junction. Follow the lane northwards and turn right at the next junction to Northwood. The lane becomes a track and leads down to a small stream, then ascends to Wortha (a couple of isolated cottages). From there, follow the footpath eastwards across fields to a track which runs back down to the lane east of Draynes. At the T junction turn right along the lane to return to Draynes.
St Cleer: There is a lovely village Church in St.Cleer
The village is over 700 feet high up on Bodmin Moor just a couple of miles west of the ancient Market Town of Liskeard
Set on the edge of Bodmin Moor, the former mining village of St Cleeris the centre of one of Cornwall's largest parishes, and has a long and fascinating history.
Dominating the village centre is the impressive Norman church, the first place of worship on the same site being built of wood in 800 AD. In 1250 the Knight Ingelram de Bray of St Clair sur Epte, built a new church after he married the heiress of the nearby Manor of Rosecraddoc, dedicating it to his birthplace. This is believed to have been the origin of the name St Cleer though others believe it came from St Clare of Assissi or St Clarus, the first Bishop of Rennes.The benevolent Knight also built a granite chapel to cover the well down the hill from the church, The well of St. Cleer, the baptistery or chapel by which it was enclosed, and an ancient cross about 9 feet high, form a group by the roadside 100 yards eastward below the church, north of Liskeard. The chapel was destroyed by fanatics in the Civil War, but appears to have been similar in size and construction to that which now stands by Dupath Well, near Callington. It was restored in 1864 as a memorial to the Rev. John Jope, sixty-seven years Vicar of St. Cleer. The well is said to have been once used as a boussening or ducking pool, for the cure of mad people. Attempts have from time to time been made to cart away some of the stones of the chapel, but mysterious power has always returned them at night. The entrance is under two low round arches, the roof covered with ivy and brushwood. The water flowing out of the well fills a pool or basin, St. Clare was born about 1200, in Italy, and died 1252. She became the abbess of a monastery of Benedictine nuns, and was foundress of the order of the Poor Clares. Today the village has expanded keeping the local primary school full of pupils, as is the pre-school which is based at the nearby War Memorial Hall. The hall has a busy and dedicated committee who organise many events in the village and are currently fundraising for a new more modern building, more suited to the needs of the 21st century. Another excellent facility is the much used Sports Club and playing field at the Hockings House end of the village. Residents are lucky because they have excellent rural transport to get them to the nearest town of Liskeard, plus two Taxis services to take them wherever they want.
However, shopping wise, almost everything is available for daily needs within the village itself. A busy Post Office and grocery store is the hub of the village, being a meeting place as well as a 'lifeline' for senior residents, while on the edge of the moorland area known as The Downs is a comparatively new business known as Taste of the Westcountry which specialises in fresh locally grown produce. If you don't fancy cooking a meal the well known "Stag Inn" is a popular venue for some excellent food and on a Friday night there is often live entertainment from local musicians which is much enjoyed, the RBL. have held their meetings at this Inn since August 2003, the other venue in the village for food is the "Market Inn" both Inns stock "real ale".The village also has its own hairdresser, where there has been one in the same building for more than 50 years. The "War Memorial" is situated between the Church and the "market Inn" it stands on a large paved area which has a bench and flagpole, all three plus the paved area are maintained by the St. Cleer Branch (every Monday), the Union Flag is hoisted at all state occasions and sadly half masted on the demise of any of our members. St Cleer is a sought after area in which to live because of its close proximity to nearby towns, rugged beauty and active community, but most important of all its business people bring residents everything they need for their daily living.
Golitha Falls Bodmin Moor: About 5km north of Liskeard is the idyllic woodland walk and nature reserve - Golitha Falls. Highly recommended, it's a particularly famous spot on the south east edge of Bodmin Moor. The reserve consists of a rather steep sided valley through which flows the River Fowey. The result is a series of stunning waterfall cascades.
Perfect for families and couples, it's a steady gentle walk through some of the most beautiful woodland to be found in Cornwall. It's also easy to hook into longer walks such as the Two Valleys Walk (see the St Neot's village website for details). The Two Valleys 6 mile circular walk, which starts at beautiful St Neot's Village, transgresses the valleys of the River Loveny and River Fowey, and the stunning heights of Berry Down.
The woodland around Golitha Falls is ancient woodland indeed, consisting of Oak and Ash trees, and some beech - all protected. There are some rare lichen and mosses to be found at Golitha too. Public toilets are available within the car park adjacent to the entrance by the bridge, with a choice of woodland trails to take - magic. Highly recommended for families, and for gentler walking. Very romantic too on quieter days outside peak season and weekends.
Find the Golitha Falls Reserve just 5 km north west of Liskeard and 2 km west of St Cleer village. Visitors coming by car can get to the reserve via minor roads from the A38, A30 and B3254. There is a car park 0.5 km north east of the reserve near Draynes Bridge. The nearest train station is in Liskeard and regular bus services run from Liskeard to St Cleer.
Minions: Minions is a small village situated high up on Bodmin moor in South East Cornwall, England. Most of the village is over 300m above sea level and it is therefore the highest village in Cornwall. The name Minions derives from Minions Mound a Barrow at the west end of the village. The village itself has a pub "The Cheesewring", named after the rock formation at the top of the hill above Minions, a restaurant and tea rooms "Hurlers Halt", named after a bronze age set of stone circles and a Post Office/Shop and Tea rooms. The area surrounding Minions is beautiful countryside offering a wealth of archaeological interest from early Bronze Age to the Tin and Copper Mining which finished early in the last century, the last to close being the Prince of Wales Shaft, closing around 1914. Many of the mine pump houses and spoil tips can still be seen. Quarrying is was also a big part of life around Minions in the 19th century with several quarries in the area. The products of the mines and quarries taken from the area to Liskeard and then onto Looe for shipping, on the Liskeard & Caradon Railway built around 1844. The tracks are long gone, it closed in 1916 but the railway makes an excellent way of seeing the area by either walking, cycling or on horseback. One of the Engine Houses of the South Phoenix Mine has been converted into The Minions Heritage Centre.
Visitors to the moors around Minions have many historical and archaeological sites to see on their walks around the area.
Rillaton Barrow: A large burial mound known as a 'tumulus'. It dates from about 1500BC. In1837 it was opened and a Gold corrugated cup was found. This is now in the British Museum. A copy can be seen in the Royal Cornwall Museum in Truro.
The Cheesewring: This is a natural rock formation formed by glaciation and erosion over many thousands of years. It gets its name from its shape. It is perched high on Stowes Hill overlooking Minions and can be seen from far away
The Hurlers : These are Bronze Age stone circles, there are three circles which can still be clearly seen dating from around 1500BC. A line drawn through their centres will point at Rillaton Barrow.
St Tudy: St Tudy parish is 3,257 acres, nearly the whole of which is farmland. A large vein of greenstone traverses the parish and is reflected in many buildings. The population was 502 (100 houses) in 1801, peaking to 661 in 1841, 579 in 1871, dropping to 390 in 1961, and rising to 570 (230 houses) in 1991.
Nestling close to Bodmin Moor in North Cornwall, lies the picturesque parish and village of St Tudy, which has a long and distinguished history. It has grown centred around the original Celtic graveyard (God's acre) now containing the beautiful Grade 1 listed parish church and interesting 'Clink' building to the north.
The village name is derived from Tudy a 6th Century monk and missionary strongly associated with the founding of monasteries and churches in Brittany.
The form of the village is nucleated with a spider's web of lanes radiating from the centre. The village contains a Methodist chapel, primary school, pub, original forge and thriving post office and stores. The village is surrounded by many small country houses including Tremeer, Lamellen, Wetherham and Tinten, reputed birthplace of Captain Bligh of Bounty fame.
The parish covers some 3,257 acres of undulating farmland with wooded area. Many cottages and houses built of local materials i.e. greenstone, granite and Delabole slate.
Blisland: At the heart of the Blisland is the picture postcard village green, which is rare in a Cornish village. Adjacent to the green is Blisland's best known landmark, its parish church. Dedicated to St Protus and St Hyacinth it is of Norman and medieval origin and contains a superbly decorated Rood Screen - indeed Sir John Betjeman was said to have found the church "dazzling and amazing".
Also surrounding the green amongst the Georgian and Victorian houses are the Manor house the village store and the pub "The Blisland Inn" - known locally for its fine selection of real ales.
Away from the village the parish encompasses a broad range of farmland which ranges from lush dairy farms right up to the moorland holdings. Once on the moors the parish contains the Striple Stone (a Neolithic stone circle) and two very pretty stone bridges Delphi and Bradford which both cross the De Lank river - a tributary of the River Camel which runs down from Brown Willy and is internationally important for its wildlife, forna and flora. Indeed it has recently been designated a Special Area of Conservation by English Nature for its importance to the Otter and Bullhead fish populations
The Blisland Inn: You know a pub's doing something right when it's packed to the gills in the middle of the afternoon. CAMRA's National Pub of the Year 2001, the Blisland Inn, is just such a pub. Regulars trek in from a 30 mile radius, while the locals think they have died and gone to heaven
Landlord Gary Marshall is nicknamed King Buddha thanks to a large tattoo on his expansive belly and his jovial unruffable nature. He's an ex-navy man who wears loud shirts and shorts even in the bleakest Cornish winters. He's also a man who is passionate about good beer
Walk inside and the welcome is instant. The lounge bar has the feel of the old-fashioned parlour you might remember from childhood. Toby jugs hang from the wooden beams while the walls are festooned with local photographs
Food specials are homecooked by Margaret, including chicken and ham pie and a hearty and delicious vegetable soup. But what makes the Blisland Inn really stand out is that Gary manages to keep at least six real ales on in perfect nick. Walk into the public bar and you're greeted by that most heart-warming sight: a row of handpumps dispensing ales both local and from further afield
"I've got my own wooden barrels " says Gary, "One for cider and one for beer. I'll send them to the local brewery and they fill them. They were built by a retired cooper in Nottingham and give me more choice for serving from the wood."
So far Gary has served over 1,370 real ales and shows no sign of letting up. "What makes a successful pub is a hands-on attitude with good personal service," say's Gary "People want traditional beer and food plus a good atmoshpere." - Cheers!!
Touring : Bodmin Moor is situated to the all the little villages around the moor or venture to either the south or north coast, both are only a short drive.
For those wishing to visit major attractions such as The Eden Project, (about 30 mins drive) The Lost Gardens of Heligan (about 45 mins drive) at St Austell, the Tate Gallery and Barbra Hepworth Museum at St Ives (about an hour) and the National Maritime Museum at Falmouth, allow an hour to one and a half hours depending on traffic.
The Rick Stein Restaurantat Padstow is very popular but booking is essential. As it is for the Jamie Oliver fifteen Restaurant at Watergate Bay.
Bodmin Moor Accommodation: The Bodmin Moor accommodation is very spread out and can be found in the moorland villages and farms.
In the town main it consists of:
Bodmin Moor guesthouses - these are often large houses converted into guesthouses, or farms that have diversified.
Bodmin Moor self catering - these are split into two categories:
Bodmin Moor Cottages : The Bodmin Moor cottages, these are quite numerous, many are basically second homes being let out when not in use by the owners. Unfortunately, like most popular places in Cornwall this tends to increase the cost of property putting it out of reach of the local population.
The Bodmin Moor Hotels are not numerous considering the area covered. They are mainly to be found in the surrounding towns, such as Camelford, Liskeard, Bodmin and Launceston.
The Bodmin Moor camp sites and caravan parks are widely spread in the surrounding countryside.
For further information on Bodmin Moor or any other area in Cornwall.
Full details can be obtained from the Cornwall Tourist Information office Tel. 0345 484950.
Getting to Bodmin Moor
The main A30 runs straight through the centre of the Bodmin Moor, private car is the best form of transport.
By Air - to Newquay airport - hire cars available
For for further information about Bodmin Moor:
Bodmin Moor Tourist Information centres are to be found in the various villages on the moor. For additional information for the whole of the country, the Cornwall Tourist Board will be able to assist.